Saturday 9 September 2017

Hyena Diaries part one


Some time ago I had come in contact with a group of people working on a number of conservation research projects here in Limpopo. I was in awe of the work they were doing and ached to be a part of it. Alas that would not be as I have no degree, a sore subject shared too often and a hindrance in any attempt to work with projects like this.

I met one of their permanent staff members and have since built a great relationship with him and am elated to have someone to talk with about conservation and science and everything that comes with it. We would often share stories of sightings we have made and work we are doing.

I am currently working for Nimeng Safaris, a privately owned game ranch in Vivo Limpopo. The land was previously used as agricultural farm land with some undisturbed area for game. Conservation efforts on the ranch have been non existent for over ten years and invader vegetation species are found throughout the grounds. Previously my position did not allow for me to take on these issues and to plan for the future of the animals and ecosystems on the ranch, but that is all starting to change.
In recent months I have been given more conservation orientated tasks; veld assessments; game counts; mortality control and recording etc which has allowed me to spend a lot more time in the bush.

Walking around on the ranch I often get the opportunity to get up close and personal with the animals and have noticed them becoming more comfortable with my presence. It's exhilarating to walk in the haunting silence and finding fresh leopard tracks and not far off even more recent hyena tracks!
Slowly I started gathering data on the hyena on the ranch. I was able to record their numbers, movements and gender, I found a den and plenty of scat which told me what they were eating! In these times I felt content, everything was beautiful and I could feel a younger me coming back to life!

On a weekend after a week of road mapping and geotagging I received a call from my friend. He told me a neighboring farm had captured a brown hyena in a box trap. The hyena had been hunting their breeding nyalas. I was elated that the ranch owner had put out a box trap and not poison or opted to shoot the animal as so many farm owners in the area do. This showed me again that conservation and environmental education is strong in the area and is starting to sink in with local land owners and farmers. I thought the news couldn't get better until my friend asked if they could release the animal on our land. I agreed immediately. I would sort out the details with my employer later, I just wanted to get this animal offloaded and out of the trap as soon as possible.




Please follow me on twitter and Instagram via the links below to see the world from my perspective, with a foot in the door.

https://twitter.com/BiancaBothab211

https://www.instagram.com/aconservationistsjourney/

Read my scholarship articles for The WOMA at the links below:

The WOMA Scholarship : Conservationista by Bianca Botha

To visit or donate to my crowdfunding page please follow the link below! Thank you for your support!

US, UK and South Africa: 

Back-a-Buddy Conservation study fund

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment your thoughts or experiences below. Or visit the links above for more information.